Eros+ Massarce is a dual story of revolution and desire. Sex crosses the boundry with violence and words flow as thoughts are explored and ideas are expressed. The two stories are worlds apart yet are merged together like dreams. Heroic Purgatory is a film about form and film language but in so much as it is a shaking fist at the land of political lies and mistruth. Deeply satisfying in its complexity and well worth exploring from a film fan view. Coup d’etat is the film that is the most simple ion its form and the most relatable as a film watching of the classical form. It still simmers with revolute and political ideas.It screams at the world that to challenge is to stand up but placed in a world of wings, it is impossible to win.
I love the Japanese new wave, although they would hate this term. Imamura is the king of the group and is my prefered choice over Oshima. Both of these are well known, unlike the superb and unknown Yoshida. He makes films that are not only politically challenging but also visual complex and volitile. They throw you against the wall and shout at you to listen more. Form was at the point of these films production, being pushed and pulled to fit into a world that was changing. It was running away from the safe and simple style and instead was becoming hard to decode without subtext. Looking on from this range, we can see what it was saying and divulge its core. It was as political as it was ambitious and alternative. Amazing in its range and its scope. A revelation of cinema is how to describe this boxset and director. Utter brilliance is another.
So the discs are superb. Transfers are amazing and work a treat even at only 1080p. The docs are great and should be a much needed companion. All in all spend that dough and love the show.
- Limited Edition Blu-ray collection (3,000 copies)
- New high definition digital transfers supervised by Kiju Yoshida
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations for all films
- Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM Audio on all films
- New translated English subtitles on all films
- Yoshida …or: The Explosion of the Story – a 30-minute documentary on Eros + Massacre with contributions from Yoshida and film critics Mathieu Capel and Jean Douchet
- Introductions to Heroic Purgatory and Coup d’etat by Yoshida
- Newly-filmed discussions of Eros + Massacre, Heroic Purgatory and Coup d’etat by David Desser, author of Eros Plus Massacre: An Introduction to the Japanese New Wave, recorded exclusively for this release
- Scene-select commentaries by David Desser on all three films
- Heroic Purgatory theatrical trailer
- Coup d’etat theatrical trailer
- Limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by maarko phntm
- Illustrated 80-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the films by David Desser, Isolde Standish (author of Politics, Porn and Protest: Japanese Avant-Garde Cinema in the 1960s and 1970s) and Dick Stegewerns (author of Kiju Yoshida: 50 Years of Avant-Garde Filmmaking in Post-War Japan)