The Zero Boys have just won the paint ball challenge against all the odds. The win hasnt just save them from being ranked as losers, it has also scored leader Steve, a date with a blonde beauty. Now with the winning medals, they set off to celebrate with the girls and a huge rig 4×4 that has great lights and kits. While running through the forest they see a woman running away, covered in blood and screaming. As they give chase, they reach an old house in the woods. There they find it homely and well stocked…. but what about the woman?
The blending of teen movie and slasher film found its nexus in the mid 80s. The reason for this was simple really, the format of slasher slice and dice had aged badly. The introduction of elements from say popular films like Rambo or Indiana Jones, gave it new life and also made the audiences interest renewed. Zero Boys is a mixture of back woods murder, torture porn and military violence.Taking elements of slasher and then blending it with Rambo and a dash of Porkys. I havent seen it before and actually was quite excited at the thought of an unseen gem.
Well I was three- fourths right about it being a gem. It works often by playing the conventions well and making you wait for the execution. The usual bad acting is there and it ranges between silly and OTT. Then you have the silly plot points and beats. They link like a haphazard but expected chain of events to allow familiarity to be breed. You also have the usual sexy girls and horny boys that are overall just wanting to survive. Then the film shows some colour. The great use of POV camera or Phantom ride shots. The fluid editing, great tracking shots, set pieces and the very clever use of voyeur or viewer makes you relise it is a cut above (forgive the pun.) It might be conventional and have be predictable but the building of tension via great film craft is a thing to see.
Now the discs are worth a punt for the restoration but then you listen to the commentary with Kelli Maroney and Chris Alexander. This is the stand out piece and you should watch the film again to listen to them laugh and reflect on the film making process. The written pieces also are fresh takes on a forgotton gem.
- Brand new 2K restoration of the film, approved by writer-director Nico Mastorakis
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Stereo audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio Commentary with star Kelli Maroney, moderated by Shock Till You Drop’s Chris Alexander
- Nico Mastorakis on… Nico Mastorakis – brand new interview with Mastorakis on the making of The Zero Boys
- Brand new interview with star Kelli Maroney
- Brand new interview with star Nicole Rio
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Stills Gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by critic James Oliver