Action adventure, filled with absurd destiny and brilliant battle scenes. Richard Fleischer (Violent Saturday, The Boston Strangler) the B movie Studio director of choice, gives us this epic slice of genre. When Prince Einar (Douglas less one eye) is given the slave Eric (Curtis) to do with as he wishes, little does he know that this will lead to a very unexpected and shocking discovery.
These Epic films spawned thousands of re dos. From the great Mario Bava sword and sandal films to the mighty Valhalla. However this has the rich cast, chewy script and fun action that makes for a delightful and entertaining watch. It moves swiftly, is told with skill and allows for the audience to never lose footing or patience with it. I strongly suggest that if you have never seen it, do so.
The disc from the Master of Cinema features some great extras but the making of feature is the stand out piece, alongside Sheldon Halls introduction. Both are revealing in ways, one has the charm of those involved and exposes how films were made, the other has a well informed and nice professor give you the low down on how and why the film got made.
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- Reversible Sleeve
- Gorgeous 1080p presentation
- Original stereo PCM soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Exclusive new video interview with film historian Sheldon Hall
- A Tale of Norway (28 mins) A featurette about the making of the film, presented by director Richard Fleischer
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring the words of Richard Fleischer; a poster gallery and rare archival imagery