‘Not You Heather…that Heather’ You remember Heathers, the teen homicidal murder fest that is at once a biting satire on 80s obsession with empty materialism and rabid aspiration? No, well welcome to the world of Westerburg High School in Sherwood, Ohio. Jocks, Geeks and glamour prowl the halls. Ahead of the class is the Heather set. That is Bitch Heather, Soft Heather and Queen Bee Heather. Alongside them is Veronica Sawyer. She is different. Less bitch more human. Less angry more balanced. Then she meets Jason Dean (J.D to his friends)…
‘Isn’t that right Heather…’ Do you remember Heathers? You might remember that many of those today championing it now, were all against a film like this before. Either by critically panning it or worse accusing it of justifying suicide and copy cat murder sprees. This film is a testament to cult film audiences. It never quite went away from the noise of an eager audience. Rightfully so. But it is best to focus here on what makes this film so good. Forget the star turn by Winona Ryder. Although in truth it is wrong to forget it as it makes the core of the film. The writing is savage. Punching with weight, stinging with bite and zing. Darkly unhinged moments stand next to natural settings. All this makes me wonder what original desired director Stanley Kubrick would have done with it? Not only is it a brilliant biting satire of the era. It also understands the teen mentality of the age. The dreams and desire are sidelined for the lusts, politics and power play. The sexuality is dark as well…dark and deliciously aberrant.
- New restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative by Arrow Films
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original 1.0 mono audio and optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by director Michael Lehmann, producer Denise Di Novi and writer Daniel Waters
- Newly filmed interview with director Michael Lehmann
- A newly filmed appreciation by the writer, actor and comedian John Ross Bowie (The Big Bang Theory)
- Scott and Larry and Dan and Heathers, a new interview between screenwriting team Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Ed Wood, The People vs Larry Flint), and Heathers screenwriter Daniel Waters.
- Pizzicato Croquet, composer David Newman and director Michael Lehmann discuss the music of Heathers
- How Very: The Art and Design of Heathers, production designer Jon Hutman, art director Kara Lindstrom and director Michael Lehmann discuss the look of Heathers
- Casting Westerberg High, casting director Julie Selzer discusses the casting process for Heathers
- Poor Little Heather, a new interview with actress Lisanne Falk
- Scott and Larry and Dan and Heathers, a new interview between screenwriting team Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Ed Wood, The People vs Larry Flynt), and Heathers screenwriter Daniel Waters.
- The Beaver Gets a Boner, Michael Lehmann s long sought after student film from 1985 made at the USC School of Cinematic Arts
- Return to Westerberg High, an archival featurette providing further insight into the film s production
- Original trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Robert Sammelin
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Bidisha, Anna Bogutskaya and an archival interview with cinematographer Francis Kenny