Mario Bava’s peplum film returns to our screens and still manages to singes the screen. Soaked with saddles, sand and sweat, ERIK THE CONQUEROR is a classic piece of storytelling that merges mythological, hallucinogenic visuals, blood soaked bodies and a boulder let loose pace that becomes a feast for both fan and newly introduced to the film maker.
Erik and Eron are two child brothers. Erik has been left on the shores of England after the Vikings failed to invade. He has grown and now become a powerful Duke. Eron however, was lucky and saved. He returned to the Vikings and now has become king. So when Eron decides to invade again, it means the two men are to have to fight it out, to see who will win!
The Vikings, that blood soaked Richard Fleischer film, has much to answer for. It launched a craze for sword and ship films. It also inspired this Bava classic. It might not be his best film for a multitude of reasons (poor script, dull acting, rushed scenes) it is still however a visual, visceral piece that shows us the skilled auteur gaining pace. It might not be totally coherent but it leaves much to admire.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original Italian and English mono audio (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava – All the Colors of the Dark
• Gli imitatori, a comparison between Erik the Conqueror and its unacknowledged source, The Vikings
• Original ending
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Kat Ellinger